Sunday 17 November 2013

Cuticle Care!


I don't push my cuticles back, it makes me feel sick (anyone else?) which means most of the time I am usually left with pretty messy looking manicure. So, I decided I would try some products which are made for your cuticle area to see if they could at least make them look a little better. 

You can grab this at Boots for £8.99

The first one I tried was by Essie and is a product I'd been wanting to get my hands on for a while. I like the nail polish style application on this one since it is literally of an oil consistency which it makes it easy to apply. I don't know if I would say this smells like apricot but the smell itself is pleasant. I just dab a bit of this on each cuticle and then rub it in, Essie says to then gently push back your cuticles but I obviously skip this step and instead just let it soak into my skin for a while before washing my hands or wiping it off (I find this does leave your fingers very oily until you wipe it off, it doesn't ever fully soak into your skin). As a result, my cuticles look softer and seem to blend in with my skin more making them a little less noticeable and easier to work with when I'm painting my nails. 

LUSH £6.50

Next I tried 'Lemony Flutter' by LUSH, a product which is called a cuticle butter but which also suggests using on ANY area of hard skin you may have. This has a pretty strong lemon/citrus scent which at first I really like but then gives off an odd after smell which I'm not too keen on but not off-putting enough for me to not want to use the product. In the tub it's an extremely thick consistency and this time I simply scoop some out with my finger, place it onto my cuticle area and rub it in. At first this one is more like a lotion but quickly melts into a more oily product. This again doesn't fully absorb into your skin and I always have to wipe it off when I'm done. My cuticles are left looking soft and neater just like with the Essie one. I don't have dry elbows or heels (which this would be perfect for) but have used this on my knuckles which worked really well. If you do buy this with the idea in mind of just using it on your cuticles like I did, I don't see how you could ever finish this entire pot!

So basically, I love both this products, I can't fault either of them and can't choose which is my favourite!
What is your favourite cuticle treatment?


Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram

35 comments:

  1. I always forget to look after my nails - but this has made me want to go out and buy some of Essie's cuticle oil! I bought Lemony Flutter years ago and I used to use it on all dry areas: nails, knuckles, elbows, heels and knees. It smells good enough to eat!

    Jo xx

    shewearsburgundy.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far I've just been using it on my nails/knuckles but I can see it working really well on other areas too. It's only pretty recently that I've started taking more care of my nails too, ever since I started wearing nail polish every day and could see they were taking a beating from it..

      Delete
    2. These are the three products I have been using for cuticle care. Darcy over at Sparrow Nails gave me hibiscus scented Island Girl Cuticle Oil as well as Lemony Flutter Cuticle Butter.Naturasil Natural Nail Fungus

      Delete
  2. This was so helpful thanks! I never trim or push mine back either- thought I was a bad beauty blogger hahah! But these products sound great xxx

    www.jesscaedmunds.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, I'm glad you found it helpful. I hate posting NOTD pics etc when they don't look neat, so I felt like a bad beauty blogger too!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for doing a post on cuticles! I have a nightmare trying to maintain mine. Pushing them back just seems to make them more obvious and I can't use those trimmer devices for the life of me. Definitely interested in trying that Essie Oil. The lush product seems pointless if you're never going to use up the whole product, otherwise I would have gone for that! xxo

    The Edge of Beauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never used the trimmer type things either, I think that grosses me out as much as pushing them back does. It really would take FOREVER to use up the Lush one if you're just using it on your cuticles, that's why I started using it on my knuckles too when they feel try. I've used it a bunch of time though and still haven't made a dent in it! It took me forever to even use what was on the inside of the lid!

      Delete
  4. Not even kidding, I feel the EXACT same about pushing my cuticles back! Even thinking about it leaves me feeling ill! Lemony Flutter is so gorgeous though, I haven't had it in a while but your post brought back memories of it and I'm gonna have to re-purchase! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love Lemony Flutter & I've been using it for years! I'm actually currently on my third pot if you can believe it! :)

    AddictedtoOPI

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How on earth did you manage that?! Do you use it on just your cuticles? What do you think about the smell?

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. I wanted it for a while and finally gave in!

      Delete
  7. I never actually do anything to my cuticles! The Essie Oil looks great though, definitely need to pick it up! x

    Jordan-Alice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't either up until now but I was getting sick of how terrible they looked whenever I would paint my nails!

      Delete
  8. Wow! I don't do anything to my cuticles! any nail fanatic would hate mine I guess haha! xx

    laurathinksabout.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't either up until recently! I was just sick of them looking like poop in any nail polish photos I would take and figured I should look after them!

      Delete
  9. I never do anything to my cuticles at all haha unless my aunt does my nails for me! Perhaps I'll start now! Lemony flutter looks amazing :) Great post! L xo
    Head-full-of-flowers.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and I didn't either until now but I was sick of them making my nails look bad whenever I painted them!

      Delete
  10. I leave my cuticles as they are. the way I see it is they wouldn't be there if they weren't meant to be there!

    Thanks for the link via Twitter.

    Roxilicious82 @ Simply Roxilicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, that's another reason why I don't push mine back. Like with any dry skin though, I think they could do with being moisturised (well mine at least)!

      Delete
  11. Ooh I love lemony flutter! Might try that essie oil! :)

    www.gingerbreadsmiles.blogspot.co.uk
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the Essie one too, I just wish I'd waited a while between buying them both because they're going to last forever!

      Delete
  12. I adore that cuticle cream!
    New follower
    Gold Dust
    x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just love lemony flutter it smells so nice :') makes your hands soft during winter x

    www.krystelcouture.com
    GLAMGLOW + Macadamia Oil Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a love/hate relationship with the scent!

      Delete
  14. Love the sound of the cuticle butter. Great post; thanks for sharing :-)

    x Roch & Tash x
    www.next-route-style.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the cuticle butter. I have really dry hands, so I bought the lemony flutter and mixed a small amount with sea salt and it made a great hand scrub :)

    http://peace-loveandmake-up.blogspot.co.uk/

    Stacey x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I adore this cuticle butter!!! It's amazing!
    New follower
    Gold Dust
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it too - just wish it wasn't quiiiite as oily as it is. Thanks for the follow :)

      Delete
  17. This was a really great informative post. I really want to try both of these products now! Thanks for sending me the link on Twitter!

    CazmosWorld

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am so in love with the Lush cuticle butter, it's super moisturizing and it's the only thing that does anything for my cuticles.

    Kelly | secondhandspring

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup! Just wish it didn't leave my hands as oily as it does after.. It's like when you paint your nails, you have to just kinda sit around and do nothing for a few minutes!

      Delete
    2. YES IT'S NOT JUST ME!...Pushing back my cuticles makes me feel sick too! I always berated myself for being a little odd and unsophisticated! I've used olive oil and hand cream on them which sometimes makes a difference.

      nikki

      http://lipstickdrawer.blogspot.co.uk/

      Delete